Friday, July 11, 2008

A small oops. . .

Now that the concrete posts had several days to dry, I went out to remove the wood boards that were used to hold the 1/2" post anchors in place.  The boards sat across the top of the sonotubes.  Unfortunately, the concrete had settled by about 1/2 - 3/4" and exposed more of the anchor bolt because the wood board held the bolt in place while the concrete sank.  With this much of the bolt exposed, the post base plates would not fit.  Bummer.  This method had worked on the last deck that I had built, but I also mixed a much dryer batch of concrete than what I ordered from the pre-mix supply company.

I had two choices: cut down the bolts or add a second layer of concrete.  The concrete settled unevenly, so this made the choice to add some more concrete an easier one.  Fortunately, I had a bag of concrete left over from when I put my son's basketball pole in.  

I purchased a concrete adhesive which would allow the two layers of concrete to bond.  This got painted on last night and allowed to dry.  When I got home today, my son and I mixed up the bag of concrete and re-leveled and raised the tops of the posts.

After dark, I went outside with my laser level and established the correct height for the nine 6x6 posts.  I can't say enough about the laser level that I own: A David White Mark 2 LC.   I purchased this several years ago at Home Depot for about $80-$90, about the maximum that I wanted to pay for a consumer level laser.  I've found myself reaching for it often for different jobs and it's been dead accurate each time I've checked it.  The level sits on a camera tripod and also self levels.  The only drawback is that the laser is not bright enough to be used outside during daylight.  I get around this by using it at dusk / dawn or using an open shoe box with an eye hole and a slit to allow the laser to illuminate whatever I'm trying to measure.
Tomorrow, the plan is to work on cutting down and notching all of the posts.  If time allows, we'll start to get the posts erected.  The supervisor (my Dad) is coming around 10:30 to ensure we aren't goofing off.  Party at 6 PM at the neighbors for a post July 4th bash.  I've seen his stash of fireworks, it should be a good show. . . 

No comments: