Sunday, July 13, 2008

Batter Up! Headers Up!

On Sunday, my Dad, son, and I went to the Phillies game.  The Phillies were playing the Arizona Diamondback and after being behind for most of the game, the Phillies came back to beat Arizona.  It was a warm day, even in the shade, but we had a great day.  One of the reasons we moved to PA was to be close to our family and this day would not have been possible if we still lived in NY.  Here's a pic of my Dad and my son.
After the game was over, my son and I came back home.  We had a smaller header to put up, which I wanted to get done before my wife and kids head to the beach for a couple of days.  This smaller header holds up the bump out in the deck.  My son is able to hold his own end of a 20' 2x12 and is consequently a big help to me.
As can be seen, our lot has a good slope in the back.  The posts ranged in height from 3.5' to 8'.

With all the headers in place, I'll be able to make more progress after work while my family is kicking back on the beach.  It would have been pretty sporty trying to land a 20' 2x12 on my own.The goal while the kids are away is to get the headers carriage bolted to the 6x6 posts and start landing some of the joists.  By the end of this coming weekend, my goal is to have all of the joists in place, get the deck railing posts in place, and be ready for the structural inspection. 

No comments: