Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rim joists complete

I woke up earlier today and got outside after breakfast.  I had to get the two remaining rim joists on and install two 4x4 railing posts.  The posts had to be installed first because the carriage bolts that hold the posts in place couldn't be installed after the rim joists were installed.  

In order to install the posts I had to drill two 9/16" holes through the posts on my drill press. This would have been quick except that I still hadn't found the drill press chuck key from when we moved in.  Our basement is the one area that we have not completely unpacked since we moved into the house. I wound up digging through a couple of boxes until I was able to find the key. I look forward to getting my workshop back into shape this winter!

After drilling with the drill press, I clamped the post to the rim-joist, made the posts level, and drilled through the rim-joist.  I finished by using two 6" x 1/2" carriage bolts. 
Today was a perfect day for working outside.  80 degrees, low humidity, nice breeze.  This was a welcome change after last weekend.

After installing the posts, I was able to install the two diagonal rim joists.  Each joist that met the rim joist had to be tweaked to match the height of the rim joist.  A Bessey clamp made quick work of this.
All I have left to complete the structural work is install some diagonal bracing on the 6x6 support posts.  I'll give the town a call on my way to work and see if they can come out tomorrow afternoon for the structural inspection so that I can start decking this weekend.

No comments: