Saturday, July 5, 2008

Ledger Attached

I spent the better part of the day completing the ledger installation.  Instead of using lag bolts, I used 5" carriage bolts spaced on 16" centers.  While the added strength of using the carriage bolts is a definite plus, the downside is having to install the washers and nuts on the inside of the house.  Our basement ceiling is insulated, which meant that I had to peel back the insulation to expose the inside of the rim joist.  This certainly is more time consuming (and itchy) than installing lag bolts and I can understand why many pros use lag bolts.  After the rim joist was finished, I completed flashing it.  Finally, I rechecked my post locations to ensure that their positions were good with respect to the ledger.

One challenge to this job is that our home is on a sloped lot.  The ledger is 8' off the ground at it's lowest point and the posts will be 10' tall.  Working off a ladder slows everything down.  On the positive side, I set up a temporary workshop in the basement.  Having a walkout basement door is a timesaver over the last deck when I had to retrieve my tools out of the basement shop.

Tomorrow's tasks:  Get the post holes dug and prepared.  Monday the town's building inspector will be coming by to ensure I'm down 36".  The concrete truck will be coming later that day.


No comments: