Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Blocking, blocking, blocking

Well, we got done the blocking between the joists tonight.  Frankly this was a job that I postponed as I don't really enjoy it.  I'm not really sure why, it's just cutting down some 2x10s, but for whatever reason it was something that I procrastinated with.  But with the deck planks ready to be installed, I couldn't wait any longer.  My son and I worked this most of the night with me cutting the boards and getting them in position, while he screwed them into place.

We're using screws in a lot of places that you might normally use nails for two primary reasons: 1) I don't have a nail gun and 2) I do have a Hitachi WH18DL impact driver.  This tool has tons of torque and is a lot quicker over hand nailing.  It was a birthday present from my wife as my Dewalt cordless screwdriver batteries were on their last legs (if batteries have legs).  If you are building a deck, an impact driver is the way to go.  Fine Homebuilding has a good video that explains how an impact driver works here.
After getting the blocking in place, we attached another plank using the CONCEALoc fasteners. I have come up with a home made tool to squeeze the planks together, but for the first two rows of planks I can't use it due to it being too close to the house.  Consequently I had to use a pair of wedges, one of which was screwed to the top of the joist, to bring the planks together. 



No comments: