Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Headers attached to posts

My goal while the kids were away was to get the headers attached to the posts with carriage bolts and start hanging some joists.  I completed attaching the posts to the headers tonight.  This proved to be a little trickier as the 2x12s were not consistent heights but instead ranged from 11" to 11.5 inches, sometimes on the same board.  I had to tweak one header or the other to ensure that the joists would make contact with both headers.  Drilling the holes with an auger bit worked well, but as I kept the hole the same diameter as the bolt to keep everything tight, I had to hammer the bolts through the 6" of wood.  This took up more time than I expected.  With 6 bolts to go, I thought of a trick my dad taught me to put some soap on a screw to make it slide through easier.  One bottle of soft soap later and the last bolts went in much easier.  I hung one joist, but found that the task will be much easier with my son helping out, so I deferred an hours work until tomorrow.  This gave me some time to whip the house back into shape.  :-)

No comments: