Thursday, July 3, 2008

Deck Building

Since we've moved in, we've primarily focused on getting things unpacked and getting the house in order.  I think we're in good shape with respect to being able to live in this house.  Some of the minor projects that I've completed include:
Installed blinds in the bedrooms.
Ran CAT-5 cabling for the home network.
Started getting a lawn established. (More on that later)
Put a small 8'x'12' flower bed together.
Put up shelving.
Installed a ceiling fan

The first major endeavor is to build a deck off the back of our house.  Our lot is sloped with a slider off the kitchen that currently has an eight foot drop.  I've designed a deck that is 32' long and 16' deep that runs along the length of the kitchen and family room.  I used a free program from Google called SketchUp that is amazingly powerful.  It didn't take me long to learn the basics of how to use it.  I also found great YouTube tutorials on this site.  

Here are two pics of what the basic shape is.
My goal for this project is to be done before labor day while being able to enjoy the summer. The lumberyard truck just dropped off all of my framing supplies, so it's time to get to work!

No comments: