Sunday, August 24, 2008

Now I know where my mother gets it from. . .

My mom dropped off a letter written by my great-grandmother to my grandmother Dorothy (my mom's mom).  Apparently Dorothy, at age 17, had gone to the beach with a friend and received the following instruction:

Phila  July 4, 1934
Dear Dorothy,
Just a line to let you know that we arrived safely home at 8 o'clock.  we did not rush, but there were more traffic and you could not make very good time.  I hope that you and Merlyn will enjoy yourselves but don't stay in the water too long or go out far, and keep away from the pilings & try and watch & don't loose anything and take care that you lock the door & not loose the key & don't go in the water with any of your rings on or your watch & be a good girl.  Help Hannah and Robert with the work. and clean up your own dishes & dust-up the floors a bit when you see the need it.  and if every thing is alright & everybody well, we will do down for you on Sunday morning.  So good night & best regards to all.
Your loving Mother

This explains a lot. . .      :-)

No comments: